Introduction to the Italian Renaissance – Late 1300’s – Mid 1500’s
Required Audio Lecture
The Middle Ages were characterized by:
- An intense religiosity
- Famine and plague
- A state of war that was so persistent that it was rarely interrupted by peace
- The feudal system
- Great disparities between wealth and poverty
The Renaissance was characterized by:
- An interest in the individual person
- A reinvention of civilization based upon Greek and Roman ideals
- Increased opportunities for trade
- Growing power in the merchant and middle classes
- A growing interest in the arts and philosophy
What era would you live in: the Middle Ages or the Renaissance?
Want another overview? Looking for an A in this course. This optional video is recommended to reinforce and further explain the Renaissance. Crash Course – Renaissance.